Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Shaking Silly People.

    Many times in my life I have had friends tell me about certain frustrating situations in their lives and how they are just unhappy. I give them relatively easy advice, "Just do this....just do that....just break up with her/him....blah blah blah..." But they do the whole "smile and nod, but absolutely do not suck in any advice I just gave them" attitude. 
I JUST WANT TO GRAB THESE PEOPLE BY THE SHOULDERS & SHAKE THEM.
   It gets me SO frustrated. They are obviously unhappy and are aware of their unhappiness, but they aren't doing SQUAT about it. Of course you have the classic situations where it's like,
 "Hey you should obviously break up with that person if they're making your life poopy..." 
"Oh but Aubri, we're living together."
  Ok yeah, I get how that can be difficult to deal with. BUT that could have been somewhat avoided, but I'm not judging. "But we're in LOOOOVE." I get it - it's your life, do what you please. BUT MAKE HAPPY DECISIONS, GOSH DANG IT. Like I said before, it can be difficult with this situation, but life is difficult! That is how we become who we are.  You go through the rough patches to get to the gold at the end.
    It makes me want to scream when I watch my friends be controlled by other people. (I can say this because I once was controlled by others and learned my lesson.) You see your friend who is happy, funny, *insert any awesome characteristic about your friend here*...you get my point. You love being around them and you consider each other close friends. But over a period of time, you feel like you are being expected to hang out with this friend where everything else in your life becomes "second priority" without your consent. If you don't follow up to par with this friend, you get somewhat "punished" (humiliation, a guilt trip, etc.).
*** If you are going through this now,
GET. OUT. NOW.
  It's YOUR life. Yeah, friends are great! I'm not saying "Be a HERMIT!" But be OH so very careful with friends. This person maybe a great person who has cured AIDS and has adopted 2 starving African children, for all I care. If they are expecting too much out of you and you feel like you need to meet up to this person's needs to feel accomplished in life, THEY AREN'T WORTH YOUR ENERGY. Be who you want to be and do what you want to do. Yeah, sometimes plans don't line up....but I stated before - That is LIFE. Toughen up, rub some dirt in it. Besides the good thing about life is, it has a lot of days! Pick one and see if it works out. But with this certain "controlling" person, try to pick a few days every so often. I tried to do this and yeah, it was awkward. I probably shouldn't have cold turkey-ed it. But I'm happier now and feel more free with what I can do with my life. But that may not feel comfortable to you, so here is SOLUTION #2 : Talk to them about it. I'm not a great talker ... but see what you can muster out to your friend. Be calm when you say how you feel and if they react angrily/negatively,  1)  they are obviously not a true friend, and 2) be grateful you spoke your mind. But if I see someone attached to another person's hip, and I tell them to "Get out!" and they reply, "I have no one else."  Once again, I'm gonna shake them.
  
   I could have named this post "Shaking Stupid People." But honestly, we all have some sort of 'stupid' in our system and "silly" is a nicer word that rolls off the tongue.
I consider this late night rant, COMPLETE.

No comments:

Post a Comment