Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Open up!

Another high school friend who trained me on how to have SWAG helped develop the next banter topic and it kind of goes like this, "Not having ALL LDS friends or all the same friends is NOT a bad thing, it can be a blessing."
Does that mean not to be cautious? No. We should ALWAYS choose our friends very carefully, no matter what their background is. The people we are around the most growing up kind of lay out a floor plan on what the rest of our life will be like. So be cautious, but don't think everyone out in the world is trying to destroy your life. Give people a chance...you'll sometimes end up surprised.

I'm an 18 year old LDS woman and I LOVE being LDS. I have found a lot of happiness living the Gospel Standards and I can't wait to share my happiness with the people in Aguascalientes. And growing up LDS gave me a lot of LDS friends. Through Primary, Seminary and Institute...I have met A LOT of Mormon folk. But I have noticed that us, Mormons, get a bad stereotype...we're "snobby and selfish." Not all of us are, but unfortunately, this stereotype is being lived up to TODAY. It's sad because we are taught DAILY to be like Christ and love EVERYONE no matter how crazy they make you., what religion they are, what color their skin is, etc. You get my point. But the stereotype is still alive today because there are a lot of LDS Youth who only hang out with ONLY LDS Youth. THIS ISN'T BAD. But it becomes bad when they completely reject those who aren't LDS, when the non-member really just needs a friend. Now the non-member possibly has hard feelings towards LDS members, or whatever the case may be- they just feel even more sad now. We're supposed to be serving and loving others, not tearing them down.
I have made MANY non-member friends and I love them to bits! Would I love them to be apart of this Gospel? Of course, but I'm not going to shove it down their throat. If they are interested in what I know is true, then I'll tell them. I have found many times that when they are interested and I'm teaching them, my testimony grows and grows! Having both LDS & non-member friends is SUCH a blessing. My non-member friends know the standards I live and respect them. They don't invite me to certain parties where there are certain things I shouldn't be around, they watch their language around me, etc. It's phenomenal and I love it! Sometimes, they even start to live the standards and find happiness in that. Also, I feel like my non-member friends have ALWAYS stuck up for me. When someone is trying to drag me down, my friends know what I stand for and remind me by telling me, "Come on, you're seriously going to let THAT get you down? You're better than that." Throughout my high school years, my non-member friends have gotten me through A LOT and I'm so grateful for them. I have also had friends who believe in same sex marriage, and I do not. I am strongly for traditional marriage, but we respect each other. They don't become an alien when they begin believe that, so why should I cut my life off from them? I respect what they believe and love them for who they are... because they are my friends. When they start to cut me down in what I know and they want to constantly debate, then we have problems. But other than that, we have no right (no matter what religion we are) to demean/degrade each other.
I have a friend, while at Westwood, would always support me in singing. He was in Honor Choir with me and helped me build up the courage to sing in the Senior Class Talent Show at the end of the year. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for him. He cheered for me and was always by my side when preparing for the Talent Show. I, now, am able to sing with confidence and truly know that my voice is special... all thanks to him!
SO PEOPLE. OPEN UP, GOSH DANG IT. Don't settle for just LDS or just Christian or just Atheist or just Asian or just Mermaid or just African American or WHATEVER religion/color/animal your friends maybe, because you'll miss out on a LOT of blessing if you don't span out your horizons (However that phrase goes...).
Also to my dear non-member readers -- yes, some LDS people live up to the "snobby" stereotype. But the keyword is "SOME." It's a shame that people happened to create that stereotype, but not everyone of us is a brat. I promise :) Don't be afraid to come up to us! We don't bite....well, with how the human race of today is playing out ...some of us might. But you'll never know until you walk up and talk to us!

PEACE. OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment