Monday, July 7, 2014

8 months down!

June 30, 2014
This is what happens when you go to Plateros but there is no room in the bishop's truck...so the missionaries get put in the back. PARTY IN THE BACK!



8 months...WHAT WHAT!




Wow, I have been on the mission for 8 MONTHS!!!! And then in one month, I will be at my halfway mark....CRAZY!!!!! We woke up this morning and as I was stretching, Hna Fa'asa looks at me, "Uh....can you leave?" I bust out laughing and leave the room...and I come back to THIS!
So we have this inside joke...that I am secretly black
and my companion is super racist.




She bought Arizona Watermelon/Kiwi Juice and candy, she wrote in the journal Melanie & Danny bought me for Christmas, she bought Root Beer (which is SUPER rare in Mexico) and she wrote me and awesome card! :) She also framed a quote by Hinckley with awesome Rapunzel on it :)







So I was LESS sick this week! Still have Typhoid....but hey, the keyword is LESS. :) Mom, I found Greek yogurt hiding in the corner of a store and I have been eating one every morning and night :) Tuesday I woke up pretty sick but I got the strength to go to District meeting and WOW ....I got slapped in the face. Elder Ouderkirk taught about how WE can help our investigators progress. He said:

1. Be Obedient: "Their understanding (the investigators) will be influenced by YOUR personal worthiness." When I am not obedient, I am not worthy. When I am not worthy, I DON'T have the Spirit.
"The Spirit is the most important single element in this work. With the Spirit magnifying your call, YOU CAN DO MIRACLES for the Lord in the mission field. Without the Spirit, you will NEVER succeed regardless of your talent & ability." -Ezra Taft Benson
If that isn't a slap to the face, I don't know what it is.

2. Be More Converted EVERY DAY: I really need to start building up my testimony. WE need to build our testimonies EVERY day...we can NOT let a day go by where we're not reading the Book of Mormon. We need our testimonies to protect us, we need to have that secure knowledge of our Lord or else we will fall EASILY.
Waiting for the camión :)

The district meeting definitely helped me get more motivated in the mission.

This week we have TRIED and TRIED to go teach Carlos in Plateros, we have made appointments with him and he said he would be at his house but 75% of the time...he wasn't there. GAH! But he still is going to be baptized this week, the baptism is still planned :) YAAAAY!

But one of the UN BUEN de veces fuimos a Plateros, we found a NEW investigator named Mario. Lemme describe who is Mario, he is about 22 years old and is SUPER nice and is covered in tattoos. Your first impression when you see him is, "He looks like a rascal...up to no good." But he is AWESOME. He literally reminds me of Peter Pan, but Mexican...so, Pedro Pan (I am hilarious). haha! But we taught him about "Dios Nuestro Amoroso Padre Celestial" and when we sang "Soy un Hijo De Dios", all he could really say after "Es bonito, verdad? Tan bonito."

We started teaching and when we started talking about Jesus Christ, Mario looked SUPER confused. I asked, "Sabe quien es Jesucristo?" "Uh. no." Ah shoot. So, we talked more about Christ and the next time we will see him we will focus specifically on the Atonement. I feel like he has a past and doesn't really have some structure in his life. He is truly awesome and I am grateful to plant a seed in his heart about his loving Savior Jesus Christ. :) I don't know what I would do without a knowledge of who is our Savior.....

Tuesday night we had some HARDCORE rain, thunder and lightning. Our house even flooded a bit and our electricity went out as we were getting ready for bed. The streets turned into rivers and it was AWESOME! I love the rain here in Mexico, apparently August is when it pours and pours and KEEPS pouring! I am STOKED! It is beautiful when it rains :)

On Thursday I had an awesome personal study, super full of revelation. I was reading Mosiah 3 and WOW. EVERYONE needs to read that chapter and then KEEP reading it. It gave me some more motivation...I read it and definitely thought, "I need to put on my to-do list ...be like a little child." hahaha! Read Mosiah 3! It is AMAZING! Then I read Elder Bednar's talk, "Bear Up Their Burdens With Ease:"

"Sometimes we mistakenly may believe that happiness is the absence of a load. But bearing a load is a necessary and essential part of the plan of happiness. Because our individual load needs to generate spiritual traction, we should be careful to not haul around in our lives so many nice but unnecessary things that we are distracted and diverted from the things that truly matter most."

My load is necessary...and I need not carry this load alone. 

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light”
In essence, the Savior is beckoning us to rely upon and pull together with Him, even though our best efforts are not equal to and cannot be compared with His. As we trust in and pull our load with Him during the journey of mortality, truly His yoke is easy and His burden is light. We are not and never need be alone. We can press forward in our daily lives with heavenly help. Through the Savior’s Atonement we can receive capacity and ‘strength beyond [our] own.’” 
I loooooved this talk and I encourage every single one of you to read it & then read it again! The Lord wants to help us, He wants to carry the load....but we gotta’ hand the load to him. We have to have faith in HIM. He loves us SO much, He knows we can do it!

This week we had a lot of "WHERE IS EVERYONE?" moments, but we kept trying to find people. Carlos is doing pretty well, his baptism is set for 5 de julio, sabado...but he is going to be out of town miercoles-viernes...and he doesn't know when he'll be back, friday night or saturday morning :/ So we are having a difficult time with when we'll have his interview :( Please pray that things will go well! That he'll be back and we'll have his baptism Saturday night!!! He didn't go to church yesterday because of some family problems, but he has been to church PLENTY of times before.

BUT speaking of Sunday! We passed for William and he said, "Can we pass for someone more?" We go and pass for his aunt and uncle. He knocks....and knocks...and knocks....church starts at 9:00am and it is 8:50am...so we say for him to start "being a missionary now" and wait for them while we go pass for Hermana Mari, and we'll just all meet up in the chapel.

So we go to Hna Mari's house because the night before when we were visiting her, she said, "I will be waiting for you!" We went and knocked, knocked and knocked. Finally I just knocked freakishly loud on her door and she opens her window.....SHE JUST WOKE UP!!! I looked at her, "What are you doing?! Come to church! Get ready!" "I am sorry! I just woke up! I promise I will go!"

Well....Mari didn't go and neither did William. Yep, we will be visiting them soon and uh, breaking down their doors....just kidding. But really. hahaha! We have been reading Alma 5 with Mari and she told us that she has been better, then she asked, "Why is it so hard? I have been trying!"

Her question hit me pretty deep.

After Church :)
It only gets harder before it gets better and easier. If it is NOT hard, we will never grow. We are here to grow. We have people, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ who are ALWAYS cheering us on. They will help us if we just rely on them. They KNOW we can overcome all...they give us specific trials because they know we can overcome! THAT is why it is hard. We can do it. :)






Well, another week down....another month gone. One more month and it will be my halfway mark! Wow, time is crazy flyin' by. Transfers are on July 6th, right after Carlos' baptism. Am I going? Or am I going to stay in Fresnillo for ANOTHER month? What are your guesses? San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas or Aguascalientes? WHO KNOWS! I'll go where He wants me to go :)

Cuídense mucho, Dios les bendiga :) Les amo mucho! 
Con Amor,
Hermana Winsor

Note from Mom: In a separate email to us, Aubri reports: "Hermana Calderon [her MTC companion] got sent home. She was diagnosed with Malaria and some parasite thing. My heart is super broken & I feel, terrible. She was my strength here in the mission, and now she isn't here. Please pray for her that she will get better....please pray that I will have strength to move on."


No comments:

Post a Comment