Monday, July 14, 2014

San Luis Potosi: Where Dreams Come True

Saying goodbye to Hma Fa'asa
Oh, my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ... to San Luis Potosi!!!

This is my new companion, Hermana Carreto de Pueblo, Mexico.
She has been out in the mission field for 6 months. Love her!
I LOVE MY NEW AREA! I went from the worst/hardest area in the mission, to the "golden area". Hermana Carreto also was in Zacatecas, so she knows! haha. San Luis Potosi is a VERY large city that definitely reminds me of California - perfect weather, HUGE beautiful rich houses, mountains in the background...I absolutely love it here...even though our area is gigantic, I love it :) 

With the hermanas de Joyas 3 in my district,
 who eat with us everyday: Hma Albornoz (Argentina), 
Hma Vera (Mexico City), Hma Carreto (Puebla) y yo!
My new ward is split up into 4 parts: Joyas 1, Joyas 2 (my part), Joyas 3, Joyas 4 (really named "Via de Reyes", small branch about an hour away). We all meet up together Sundays. There are some days where we (all 8 missionaries) eat ALL together. The other days it is me and my companion, and the other two hermanas. Imagine, Mom...feeding 8 mouths, and 4 are mouths of ELDERS! haha.

The chapel is huge, beautiful and CLEAN! and the members are EVEN BETTER ! The bishop visits the less actives and our invesitgators! EVERYONE wants to help us! WHAT A BLESSING!

I met some awesome people this week:

This bird, named Richard, does some awesome catcalls.
1. Hermana Paty Saldaña: 
(Member) She fed us and asked about our investigators and how could she help us. She also has more than 7 types of parakeets and parrots in her house. And more than half of them can talk! She went up to one (named "feo"...."ugly". It was an accurate named, for the bird was truly ugly..haha) and she said, "Cállate tu boca, Feo!" and Feo said right back, "Cállate TU boca!" bahahaha. We were ALL dying laughing!

2. Juanita:
(Investigator) She is one of the MANY Catholics who praise "Maria Guadalupe". When we visited her, she had a cast on her foot because she sprained it at work. She is SUPER awesome! When said the opening prayer of course I prayed that her foot would heal fast. During the lesson we talked about the Trinity. When we started talking about the Holy Ghost she looked at me, "Hermana Winsor, when you were praying and your prayed for my foot...I felt something warm in my foot. Not pain or discomfort...like, everything was going to be alright. Like He knows me." Gosh, the Spirit was SO strong! Through a simple opening prayer, the Spirit testified our message to be true. Juanita recognized our message was true- she is VERY receptive and loving. I love her SO much!

3. Familia Martiniz Lucio:
(less actives) They are an awesome and HILARIOUS family! When we walked in, they fed us right away...tostadas with NOPALES! (cactus) We taught about the Plan of Salvation and it was definitely powerful! Fuimos escogidos antes de nacer ... nuestro Padre Celestial nos conoce y nos ama MUCHO!

4. Familia Tovar:
(investigators) A potencial family! The have 3 daughters and only 2 of them, Erica (19 yrs old) and Ducle (10 yrs old) and the mom are the only ones who are truly interested. They are a loving family who have been investigating the church for awhile and used to do all their commitments....but now, they haven't been doing them :( We don't know why and we were going to drop them but...there is SOMETHING holding us back. We invited them last week to go to church but they didn't come :( They want to go! But they say they always forget even when we remind them and remind them. They are truly special and ALWAYS receive us really well! Please pray that they weill start doing their commitments! This is the last week we are giving them to do their commitments. Please pray!!!

5. Familia Chavez:
(less actives) It is actually not their fault that they are less active... the dad is not a member. And wow, he will NOT let them go to church or he will disown whoever goes. He has already disowned one daughter for allowing the missionaries to buy her a church dress.And the thing is, we can only visit this family when the dad ISN'T in the house :( Please pray for this family! They are turly amazing and have a HUGE desire to return the church!

6. Hermana Maria Acosta:
(member) Awesome member! she has given us SO many references, she WANTS to accompany us and she WANT to works with us! Her and her duaghter are the only active members in her family.

7. Maria de Lourdes:
(investigator) In our area book, the missionaries before us "YOU NEED TO VISIT HER! SHE IS READY FOR BAPTISM!" And it is SO true! She has a friend that works with her who talks about the church as a "refuge" of tranquilidad (I forgot how to spell it in English) and peace. I asked, "Do you want what your friend has?" She said, "Yes... but my family will disown me if I join another church." Family, PRAY FOR HER!!!!! She is so stinkin' ready for baptism, it is ridiculous! She lives in an apartment with her 11 yr old son...with only 2 plastic tables, 2 matteresses and 1 TV...that is ALL. She had to start from the beginning and she NEEDS what we have as members of the TRUE Gospel! PRAY for her!!! This miercoles, vamos a darle una fecha :)

Those were just SOME of the amazing people I met. Our mission leader, Hno. Francisco is fantastic and has a great relationship with the Bishop! (YAY!) He wants to work with us, ALL 8 of us! He never lets us down!
A member saw us on the street during a REALLY
hot day, and bought us orange juice...in a bag!
Apparently this is SUPER normal here, to drink out
of plastic bags.

Holy cow it rained like CRAZY this week! There was one day where it was raining SO hard in the morning, the streets were literally overflowing and we thought we weren't going to be able to leave the house! But Heavenly Father is awesome and the water went down....we taught 5 lessons that day :)

My zone has been having baptisms EVERY week! We are the strongest in the mission. My companion and I will be having a baptism for a 9 yr old boy named Diego on the 26th of July...I am STOKED!

The ward is HUGE!!!! Going from 15 people attending church (Fresnillo) to more than 80 members (San Luis)...my heart is overjoyed! Also on Sunday, the Bishop asked ME to play the piano for la reunion sacramental and HE chose los himnos....which is a BIT nerve racking. I prayed hard because 1. I was exhausted, church is at 8 in the morning. 2. I was up all night throwing up because we ate chicken the night before. BUT I did it! I played really well :) The members here maginfy their callings and are amazing! I love my new ward! After 7 hard, faith-trying months in Barrio Alto, I see the work moving forward!

If YOU feel stuck in a trial, ENDURE AND ENJOY! There are ALWAYS blessings in the end if we endure faithfully with obedience. I am SO happy here! I was sick on Saturday and Sunday but the work doesn't stop!
"Don't you give up. Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is HELP and HAPPINESS ahead...it will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Miracles happen! Being here is not only a miracle but a blessing! KEEP STRONG! Dios les bendiga para siempre jamas! Estan en mis oraciones siempre :) Cuídese mucho, y recuerde...Venga lo que venga, disfrútalo!

Con amor, 
Hermana Winsor

P.S. I beg of you that after my mission, do NOT feed me chicken. The medic said that officially, I am "allergic" yaaay. haha
Do you see what I see? ... yep not only is there Mcdonalds....but WALMART! 
Went shopping this morning....also there is a Costco, Carl's Jr., 
Subway and KFC. Dreams really do come true in San Luis Potosi!!!
This doesn't really need an explanation, does it?
Hermana Vera, trained by Hermana Calderon...same district :)
Huge gigantic ants!

No comments:

Post a Comment