Saturday, August 28, 2010

Scariest Thing this week

I had to get surgery on August 26th. Let's just say, this has got to be the 3rd most scariest thing ever that I've done in my life. It was an outpatient surgery so I got to go home right after. So on Wednesday (the day before) I got my bloodwork done and that wasn't as bad, I barely felt it. And I had to...ummm...release certain liquids, into a cup, twice. Because yeah. I'll just leave it at that.
ANYWHO! So I go to school on Thursday, STARVING. They wouldn't let me eat 8 hours before. No water, food...NOTHING! I had to skip out on Choir and Seminary that day AND Friday :( My two favorite classes, BUMMER! But we go to the hospital and by then, I'm literally freaking out. I listened to Don't Stop Believein' by Journey and Your the Voice by John Farnham, to boost my confidence of course :) And mind you, this hospital is almost an hour away. So we make it to the hospital and register, that wait to be called in is probably the second most scariest part. So lets rewind to lunch that day,

REWIND!
So I'm sitting there and dying for starvation, also my heart is about to jump out of my mouth. But my friend Liesl opens her hand and gives me a cow shaped rubber band. Seriously, that is the nicest thing ever! First off, me and Liesl sometimes weren't on the same track to begin with. But I learned something, don't let things get to your head because everyone is there for you...no matter what. Let's just say that rubber band calmed me down a bit...

FAST FORWARD!!!

So they call us in and that's when I start freaking out, but I don't show it...well, I was shaking too much. The nurses are really nice by the way (foreshadowing!!) and she helped me by giving me my...*cough cough* gown.. and I had to release certain liquids AGAIN into a cup. LAME! But anywho. She puts me and my mom into our room and I lay down on my bed (which was absolutely amazingly comfortable!) and goes "Alright! I'll go get your IV!" Let's clear something up first, I DREAD needles. Like HAAATE them with an infinite amount of hate. So not only are my arms shaking but my legs are twitching like all of a sudden I have some muscle disease! So the nurses tell me "You need to relax EVERYTHING! Arms, eyes, feet, toes, chest..." On and on. She was really nice, don't get me wrong...but how in the HECK am I suppose to do that when I can't stop shaking?!?! Anywho, she explains to me that if I don't relax, they won't be able to get through my skin because your skin actually gets harder when you get nervous and my veins are harder to find. I tried SOOOOO hard! I'm not even kidding!!! Now, numbing medicine is suppose to help you not feel pain yes? Not in this case, guess how many times they had to try to get the IV in me? Just guess...
***4 times!!!***

Now let me remind you, this is Step 1) numbing medicine Step 2) IV....so I was stabbed 1...2....8 times!!!! And that numbing medicine is literally getting stung by a bee, the nurse even described it like getting stung by a bee. Now the IV isn't some dinky little needle, it could pass as a crocheting hook! So I have 4 big holes in my arm and if I feel around, I can feel where the put the numbing medicine. Oh and they didn't have the paperwork of my bloodwork being done the day before so they did it again...so I have 10 holes in me. WOO! By the second time, I'm in tears. I want this to be done with. They are switching up arms, putting all kind of needles in me. So Nurse Jimmie (pretty much legit!) sings some funny songs to me. Um, pretty much the most legit nurse ever! This calms me down a lot to be honest and then on the 4th time, she switched to the left arm and tries again, I'm relaxed! The hellish experience is OVER!!!!! YAY!


So I wait there in bed, watching Ellen with my mom. Dr. Giali (my surgeon) comes in and tells us what she needs to do and how long it will be. She is so nice and amazing, also hackin' hilarious. And another nurse comes in who is also very nice and puts the anesthetics in my IV and I say goodbye to mom. She tells me I'll start feeling tired in 10-15 seconds...wow. I was expecting minutes, nope! Seconds. She wheels me in to the operating room and checks up on me to make sure I'm awake. I switch to the operating table, a little more tired...gotta keep awake. Well, let's just say all I remember of those last moments were "Alright everyone..." and I was OUT! Gone! And then BAM! I was back in the room with a breathing mask on. It was done THAT FAST! Only an hour? it felt like 6 seconds. And the only thing I said "I have to go to the bathroom." And that darn nurse would not let me! :) And I had to go, BAD! Worse thing after surgery. And I was soooo tired, I wanted to stay and sleep because to be honest, those beds are 1000 times more comfy then mine at home.
But let's just say, I'm happy to be alive and that Heavenly Father protects me through anything. I knew he was there with me during the IV scandal and surgery. Even though he was with me through the IV problem, I never ever NEVER EVER want to go through that again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment